Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Teaching time

Yesterday, while going through a mail order clothing catalog, Kathryn came across underclothing and prosthetics for those who have undergone mastectomies. Since she was curious about the subject, I took that as a prompting that this would be a good time to explain another aspect of this cancer road about which the girls had not yet heard. Surprisingly, they were not phased in the least, although Meaghan did screw up her nose once or twice during the conversation. Kathryn, always the more serious one of the two, questioned me about whether or not my mother (her grandma) had had a mastectomy during her bout with cancer 30 years ago. The answer was yes.

Never being one to relinquish teaching time, I then decided to broach another topic with the girls. While we had discussed with them that my treatment would be difficult and not without adjustments, we hadn't yet spoken about specifics. I decided it was time to talk about hair loss. Neither of them realized that I will most likely lose my hair during the chemo treatments. Meaghan promised me she would buy me a wig for my upcoming birthday in March and asked what color I would like. We then laughed over different color options and styles. However, the biggest laughs came when Kathryn (our ever serious one?) informed me that "cheap wigs" could be found in the Disney catalog, and I could have my choice of Snow White, Ariel, Cinderella and more!

I am so thankful for the ability to laugh with my girls; it does my heart good to see that they aren't afraid to keep the lines of communication open. I know that this trial won't be easy for them, and I would do anything to spare them the growing pains they are about to endure. But God has a bigger and better plan for them than I can ever imagine. I need to rest in the knowledge that He is sovereign over their lives, just as He is over mine. So, I will continue to look for teaching time, to do what I can to make this easier for them. And....since I am learning each step of the way, too....it should make for interesting lessons!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

4 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Ryan Kelly said...

Disney store or the Fright Shop, your pick!

ROFL - WTG, Kathryn!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Leni said...

I vote for Snow White!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger TXArtcGal said...

Hehe...I vote for Ariel! :)

I'm praying over here!!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

I have laughed and shed tears as I have read through your blog. I will be back to read, and watch your journey as you go through this.

I have a friend that went through chemo, and she "had fun" with some of the wigs. She got one that was a baseball cap with blonde hair down the back. For a conservative brunette, this was pretty funny.

I think it's so good you have talked to your children. I am sure it will help them to understand before, what you may go through.

God's blessings & peace ~~Loni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home