Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Be Still, My Soul.......

The first Sunday after the Friday appointment with the GYN, when she told me I probably had cancer and should see a surgeon promptly, Michael and I barely made it through a very difficult church service. Pastor was preaching out of Lamentations, and if that wasn't hard enough, the final hymn was Be Still, My Soul. As I read the words and choked back the tears, I knew that I would be referring back to those words many times in the days and weeks to come. More than once since then, I have been reminded to "leave to thy God to order and provide." Again today, I needed to look to Him as I felt the frustration of not being able to schedule an appointment with my oncologist for another week. I just want to start this chemo; I am so tired of waiting. Michael tried to cheer me up, telling me that this means I will have another week of feeling good before the drugs start.

Thank you, God, for undertaking to guide my future, as You have guided my past over all these years.

Be Still, My Soul

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, be leaving, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

2 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Karren said...

"Be Still, My Soul"...one of my favorite hymns, second only to "Learning to Lean":

I'm learning to lean, learning to lean, Learning to lean on Jesus;
Finding more power than I'd ever dreamed; I'm learning to lean on Jesus.

The joy I can't explain fills my soul, Since the day I made Jesus my King; His blessed Holy Spirit is leading my way, He's teaching and I'm learning to lean.

Sometimes we can be like the man who said, My life is full now, I have everything; But there is a strong Rock in Jesus, my Lord;
Thro' my trials I've been leaning to lean.

Sad, broken hearted, so often I've knelt, And I've found God's peace so serene; And all that He asks is a child like trust, And a heart that is learning to lean.

There's glorious vict'ry each day now for me, I found His peace so serene; He helps me with each task if only I'll ask; Ev'ry day now I'm learning to lean.

I'm learning to lean, learning to lean, Learning to lean on Jesus;
Finding more power than I'd ever dreamed; I'm learning to lean on Jesus.

On another note, I had forgotten February was the month you rescheduled your jury duty to. I was so jealous back in Novemeber when I couldn't reschedule mine!

I'm in this part of Texas, praying for you.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger TXArtcGal said...

I'll be thinking of you today as you do your jury duty! I'm sorry you have to wait for your appointment...and hope the time zips by quickly for you! Praying over here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home