Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Rambling thoughts

Without doctor visits, I really have no health updates to provide. While I feel like I should blog about something, I feel strange to blog about things unrelated to my health. I did think of a few thoughts that might be interesting to some, so I will include them here.

It's been 7 1/2 weeks since I last saw my oncologist. My next appointment is in exactly 4 weeks from today. While it's certainly been a nice change of pace to not have frequent visits, I must admit that it still is really weird. I find myself not really knowing how to think sometimes. For example, I was updating my chart at the eye doctor this week. When asked whether or not I had any current health problems, I really didn't know how to answer. I wonder how long I will continue to think of myself as a cancer patient, rather than a survivor? I do think of myself as a survivor most of the time; I suppose it's just hard to break the habit of thinking that I am still in the throes of treatment. Just weird.

I learned this week that a high school classmate also went through breast cancer treatment last year. Sadly, our numbers continue to grow. She will be at our reunion in Denver this summer. I haven't seen her since graduation; we'll have something to talk about now!

Recurrence is a nasty word. Elizabeth Edwards and Tony Snow have to very publicly deal with very private issues. I wish them well as they begin their battles once again. I learned of another person dealing with a recurrence this week; this story hits much more close to home. Our eye doctor's daughter was first diagnosed with leukemia about 6 years ago. It was a rough couple of years for her, but she went into remission, went through high school and is a freshman at A&M this school year studying to be an pediatric oncology nurse. At my appointment yesterday, her dad told me that her cancer has returned. They have known about it for just a few weeks. He told me that they are looking at a probable bone marrow transplant in the future. Please pray for Lee Ann and her family. Her dad looked so sad yesterday, but I know they are strong believers and will get through this. His parting words to me yesterday were, "God did it once; He can do it again!" Amen!

There is a mom on a home school board I visit whose son is clinging to life after being in a serious motorcycle accident. They don't know what the future holds for him, but the prognosis is not good. Please pray for this family, too, as they walk a road none of us ever wishes to have to tread.

So many families with so many needs. I am reminded of this refrain from the hymn, "God is Still on the Throne."

"God is still on the throne,
And He will remember His own;
Tho’ trials may press us and burdens distress us,
He never will leave us alone;
God is still on the throne,
He never forsaketh His own;
His promise is true, He will not forget you,
God is still on the throne."

Amen!

2 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger patti said...

Dear Kim, we have never met, but I linked to your blog through colleen's blog, and found out about her through her daughters "Being Virtuous Women" web site, which I found through "Woman's Day" magazine. All this to say even though we have never met, I have been praying for you, Colleen, and the others you have both named in your entries. I find myself almost daily,{your blog is in my "Favorites"} checking your blogs to see what is happening in your lives. I am so glad all is going well as I continue to pray for you. I feel like you are my friend! I know we are sisters in the Lord, and I find it an honor to pray for you. Your blogs have made me weep and rejoice in the work God is doing in and through you. I just wanted you to know I am praying for you and will continue to check for updates and I am rejoicing in your progress:)

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger TobyBo said...

You know, I am so so so delighted you have no health updates to provide.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home