Thursday, February 15, 2007

Another doctor day

Monday's trip to Dr. Holmes' office should have included a special blood draw. But since someone forgot to order the package needed to perform said work, I had an appointment made for Wednesday at 9:40. Efficient as I am trying to be, I left the house about 15 minutes early to make a drop off at the dry cleaners. About 5 minutes out of town, I received a phone call from the doctor's office (sorry, we hoped to catch you before you left!) informing that the package did not arrive the previous afternoon, as expected, however FedEx was scheduled to deliver it at 10:30, so might I be able to come then. No problem, I said. I continued on my drive and went shopping and World Market and Bed, Bath and Beyond before going to the doctor (arriving now at 10:25).

I took the last seat available in a very full waiting room, certain I would be called back immediately. First mistake. 15 minutes passed, and then I was informed that the package still was not in house, but that it should arrive "any minute". At 11, the lab tech came out to repeat the message, assuring me that I was on his schedule, and I would be called in just as soon as possible. Since I had by now finish adding phone numbers to my cell phone, I picked up a Reader's Digest to while away the minutes. At 11:45, the nurse called me back again to tell me (with a very embarrassed look on her face) that now FedEx could not even give her an estimated time for delivery. She muttered something about it being weather-related, blah, blah, blah......she asked if I wanted to go do anymore shopping and they would call me when the package arrived. I declined her offer, telling her I would be happy to sit and wait, but I would have to leave no later than 1, as I had another appointment back in Tomball at 2.

Having finished the Reader's Digest (and learning more than I cared to know about different discoveries in treating stroke patients), I sat down to work on a jigsaw puzzle. There is always a puzzle being worked on at this doctor's office. In the year I have been going there, I have never made an effort to add even one piece to the process. This day, I nearly completed the sides of the puzzle. Nearly is the operative word here, but not because I was called back for my labwork, but because 1PM arrived and I needed to leave. I left the office with an appointment for this coming Monday at 10:30 and enough apologies to last a lifetime.

I drove straight to the Cancer Center in Tomball for my next appointment, with Dr. Reddy, the radiation oncologist. These are always pleasant appointments (the ones with no radiation treatments, that is), as the people are so very friendly, and there is never a long wait. This day was no different - except for the 8 X 10 framed notice sitting on the check-in desk informing all of us that Dr. Reddy is leaving the practice as of the end of February! WAAAAAAAAA! I am so glad that I have already completed my treatment with him. And I feel so badly for the people who are in the middle of treatment. The doctors who will be filling in until a permanent replacement is decided upon are quite good, but it's still unsettling to need to change doctors during a treatment such as this.

My appointment with the doctor went without a hitch. They noted all of the minor issues I told them about. The occasional twinges of pain I sometimes feel are a normal occurrence for someone who has had radiation. They explain it as the nerves "talking to you." But it isn't anything to be concerned about unless it were to become chronic and severe. So, he sent me off with a handshake and his e-mail address in the event I need to ask him any questions later on down the road. Such a nice man. When I go back in 6 months for my follow up, there should be a new doctor in place.

After leaving the Cancer Center, I made what was supposed to be a quick trip to Wal-Mart. I was delusional in thinking that going to Wal-Mart on Valentine's Day would be anything in the neighborhood of quick. It's only due to cooler temps and God's grace that my ice cream wasn't totally melted by the time I arrived home........nearly EIGHT hours after leaving in the morning!

It was a good day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home