Thursday, November 30, 2006

What's next?

Monday was the day I had been pointing to each time someone would ask me, "What's next?" Since I am still relatively new at this cancer thing, I haven't always known how to respond. The usual, "I don't know" would sometimes alternate with the even more vague, "Beats me!" I was hoping that Monday's appointment would help clear up some of the unknowns.

Monday was my 3 month follow up with the oncologist. The last time we actually talked about my case there was right after Labor Day, at my surgical follow up. During the 3 months that followed, I had begun and completed my radiation treatment. So, I had a number of questions to ask.

Michael accompanied me to this appointment; it was nice to have someone to drive with for a change. I had a relatively short wait before being called back into the exam room. One bright spot was that the Thanksgiving holiday didn't reek too much havoc on my body as the scale actually registered one pound lower than in September. I saw Janice, the nurse practioner, this time, although I could hear Doctor Holmes' voice in the hallway. While I would probably prefer to actually be seen by the doctor herself, I figure that as long as she is in house and available for the more difficult treatment related questions, I am fine seeing Janice.

Results of the exam:
  • BP was the lowest it has been in months (all during radiation treatments, it was really high....we decided that the machine stressed me out)
  • physical exam was unremarkable (aka "she didn't find anything suspicious")
  • labwork drawn 3 weeks ago was good, including tumor markers and everything else they look at

All in all, it was a good exam, as far as exams go......

So.....what's next???????????

  1. I will continue to receive Herceptin treatments every three weeks into February.
  2. I will see Dr. Holmes in another 3 months and then probably go on a 6 months recall schedule.
  3. I will have periodic bloodwork done, and Dr. Holmes will monitor those areas which might indicate a need for further testing.
  4. I will see the radiation oncologist in 3 months for evaluation.
  5. There will be periodic chest x-rays and yearly mammograms.
  6. I need to get back on a regular exercise program and hope to do that once my energy levels return to normal, since radiation knocked them for a loop! They gave me a 6-8 weeks timeline, post-radiation, so I figure that I should be back at it by the first of the year.

One side note about Monday's appointment - I am seeing mostly new faces in the treatment room now. Monday was no different. I met a lady about my age (she has a daughter graduatiing from Texas Tech this semester) who started chemo in late September. She has had a really rough time of it but is starting to feel a little better now that her meds have changed. I was able to encourage her that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I was able to share with her that hair does grow back, and she will begin to feel normal again. I realized that 6 months ago, I was in her shoes. It made me even more grateful for the road I have walked and those who have ministered to me.

2 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMAZING is the only word that comes to mind for your attitude and strength, dear Kim. I know it comes from the Lord. You are such a wonderful testimony to me of His goodness and grace!

In His love,
Bonnie

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Colleen said...

I am so proud of you, Kim! 2 Corinthians 1 comes to mind… "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ."

We thank the Lord for touching you and healing you. May He continue to hold you as you grow strong and well again.

With much love…

 

Post a Comment

<< Home