Thursday, November 16, 2006

Follow up and update

I had my follow up with the radiation oncologist yesterday. My blood pressure was not through the roof in spite of the high schooler who almost rear ended me on the way there. It was a very uneventful visit, actually. I answered no to the litany of questions I was asked. Well, I answered no to all of them except, "Are you feeling any pain?" If you answer no to that one, the nurse invariably says, "Really?" It's as if she's calling you a liar right there. In actuality, she realizes that most of her patients are experiencing pain/discomfort at one time or another when they come there. She's not calling us liars; she just wants us to think through our responses and answer honestly. So, yesterday, I answered yes to that one question. The boost area (the area treated with an extra dose of radiation) on my chest where the incision is still hurts. It still is in various stages of desquamation (see earlier post for definition!) and is quite red and sore in certain areas. I think it is interesting how healing (something good and desirable) can be painful (something no one wants) at times. There are great Scriptural applications here, but considering that I am typing this in the wee hours of the morning, I will save those lessons for another day!

The radiation oncologist was pleased with my progress. He was thorough in his physical exam and noted all my comments about how I was feeling. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to him at all. I was instructed to continue to use all of the topical remedies he's prescribed for at least another 3 months. That's when I will be going back for my next appointment with him. What was really strange was making an appointment for February 15. While it seems so far away now, I know it will be here in a heartbeat. Have to get through one birthday and Thankgiving, then one birthday and Christmas and then one more birthday before that yet. Lots to do!

My next scheduled "event" is my 3 month follow up with Dr. Holmes (medical oncologist) on Nov. 27, the Monday after Thanksgiving. I know I am scheduled to have blood drawn, and I expect her to give me a clue as to "what is next." Being at the end of treatment is a strange and somewhat unsettling place to be. It is so hard to answer all of the questions about the unknowns. I am sure there is a regular sort of schedule of testing and scans that is done in cases such as mine; I just don't know what it is yet. I do know that I will continue to receive Herceptin treatments every three weeks until February. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. At this point in my life, however, I am more than content to have unanswered questions floating around out there. After all, none of us has any guarantees when it comes to our health anyway. Having cancer just makes one face those uncertainites head on. Right now, I am just looking forward to the upcoming holiday and birthday seasons and grateful beyond measure for the gift of life.

GIVE THANKS TO GOD, FOR GOOD IS HE (paraphrase of Ps. 136, author unknown)

Give thanks to God, for good is He, His grace abideth ever;
To Him all praise and glory be, His mercy faileth never.
His wondrous works with praise record, His grace abideth ever;
The only God, the sovereign Lord, Whose mercy faileth never.

His wisdom made the heavens be, His grace abideth ever;
He spread the earth above the sea, His mercy faileth never.
Praise Him Whose sun doth bring the day, His grace abideth ever;
The moon and stars His might display, Whose mercy faileth never.

He helped us in our deepest woe, His grace abideth ever;
He ransomed us from all our foes, His mercy faileth never.
Each creature’s need He doth supply, His grace abideth ever;
Give thanks to God, enthroned on high, Whose mercy faileth never.

1 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger TobyBo said...

I am giving thanks with, and for, you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home