Thursday, March 01, 2007

Out with the old.....

I had my port inserted on February 6 of last year, so I have been walking around with that thing on the right side of my chest for just over a year. It was through this port that I received all of my chemotherapy injections. While I have been very grateful to have had the port and have had no problems with it functioning correctly over the past year (some people have to have theirs removed and receive their treatments through veins in their arms), I no longer need it.

I am happy to report that I just hung up the phone with my surgeon's office and scheduled an appointment to have the port removed. If I didn't get it removed, I would need to go in every 5-6 weeks to have it flushed. I certainly have no interest in doing that, even though the oncology nurses are very nice and seeing them would be a pleasant diversion.

So, the appointment is scheduled for Monday, March 12 (a little post-birthday festivity, I suppose!). What is even more exciting is that this can be done right in the doctor's office instead of at the Surgery Center at the hospital! No major anesthesia this time - just a local.

One more step on the road called survivorship!

2 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Ryan Kelly said...

Everybody likes flushing!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Kim said...

ROTFLOL!

Only you would post this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home