Tuesday, February 21, 2006

One cycle down, only 7 left to go!

Yesterday dawned with great anticipation of finally getting my first chemo treatment. I was having mixed feelings....one part of me was relieved that things were going to be starting, but the other part of me was somewhat dreading the "unknowns" of the process. While showering, I was reminded of the lines from the hymn, Like a River Glorious, which had been recently brought to mind on another blog I visit. The line, "Every joy or trial falleth from above," brought a much needed sense of reassurance that carried me through the day. I also must add that I followed the nurse's instructions to take one particular drug in order to relax me, as she said that everyone is anxious on their first day. It certainly did its trick!

Michael and I set out for the appointment and arrived with no delays. We prayed together before leaving the car, walked into the doctor's office, and before I could finish up paying my co-pay, I was called back! After a short wait in the "chemo" waiting area, I was ushered back into the clinic and given a nice recliner to sit in. Since this treatment was going to be the longest of all of them (4 hours was the estimate I was given), I came armed with 1 book, 2 magazines, a blanket, Justin's DVD player, headphones, a movie I had not seen yet, 3 bottles of water, trail mix, and a crossword puzzle book. Can you believe it? I never used anything other than the blanket! The treatment did indeed last 4 hours, but that 4 hours was broken up by chatting with the nurse who administered the drugs, another lady in the chair next to me (it was her second treatment, so she was filling me in on her case), and Michael's occasional visits. Not to mention the amount of time I spent dozing; they gave me a dose of Benadryl which made me so loopy that I was having a hard time talking without slurring my words (trying saying the word procedure when it feels like your tongue is 3 times too big for your mouth!).

After getting all of my instructions, calendars, and charts for keeping track of side effects, etc., we left for home. I am pretty sure I slept most of the ride home, although I do have vague recollections of passing through an occasional toll booth. I was very appreciative that Michael had taken the time from his schedule to be my designated driver for the day; I would have needed to spend the night in the parking lot, if it wasn't for him! Upon our arrival at home, I went straight to bed and slept for another hour and a half. Thankfully, a church family had provided a wonderful meal that needed no attention from me to prepare. I just got up and ate! I really felt well after dinner, although I did still feel a bit sleepy. We spent a quiet evening, watching some Olympics and eating some ice cream (Phish Food, my favorite!). I slept soundly all night and awoke this morning feeling much less groggy than yesterday.

So, today begins a new journey of sorts....one filled with charting temperatures, side effects, and the like. I have already taken my anti-nausea medications for the morning, dutifully eating toast much earlier than I normally would, but since one med said "take with milk or food," toast seemed less daunting than swallowing a glass of milk at 6:30. Plans for today include school with the girls and continuing to knock off things from my never-ending "to do" list. However, if there is a need for a nap that arises, be sure I will fit that in, too!

Thus chronicles the events of my first "big" chemo day, the ones during which I get 4 different drugs. These cycles run 3 weeks apart for 8 weeks (thus my statement of 1 down, 7 to go). During that 24 week time period, however, I will get one of those drugs, Herceptin, weekly. So, I will be making more trips to the clinic than just 8. But, it's fine with me. We have been regularly blessed and encouraged by another lady who has been going through treatment for ovarian cancer in IL. She has encouraged me to look at each of those drugs as a friend and a tool from God to rid my body of this disease. That is our prayer as we look to the weeks ahead, that the Lord will use the doctors and the drugs to destroy the bad cells and make me well again.

Many thanks to all of you who have prayed and are still praying for me as well as Michael and the children. The outpouring of love has been a special blessing during a time which might otherwise seem overwhelming. Nothing is too big for God; knowing that He already knows the outcome of this battle is reassuring, especially in light of Romans 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

1 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Leni said...

I was praying for you yesterday, hoping all went well. There were reminders to pray for you on TM also, so you know many of them were lifting you up!

Thanks for keeping us updated, you're on my mind constantly!

Leni<><

 

Post a Comment

<< Home