Thursday, February 05, 2009

Too long between postings

Praise, my soul, the King of Heaven;
To His feet thy tribute bring.
Ransomed, healed, restored, forgiven,
Evermore His praises sing:
Alleluia! Alleluia!

Praise the everlasting King.
Praise Him for His grace and favor
To our fathers in distress.
Praise Him still the same as ever,
Slow to chide, and swift to bless.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
Glorious in His faithfulness.

Fatherlike He tends and spares us;
Well our feeble frame He knows.
In His hands He gently bears us,
Rescues us from all our foes.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
Widely yet His mercy flows.

Frail as summer’s flower we flourish,
Blows the wind and it is gone;
But while mortals rise and perish
Our God lives unchanging on,
Praise Him, Praise Him, Hallelujah
Praise the High Eternal One!

Angels, help us to adore Him;
Ye behold Him face to face;
Sun and moon, bow down before Him,
Dwellers all in time and space.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
Praise with us the God of grace.

The words of this hymn are flowing through my mind tonight, as I think over the events of the day. I had a routine appointment today with Dr. Holmes. This appointment capped off a week of medical appointments: a blood draw last week, a mammogram yesterday, and Dr. Holmes office today. All routine events, but still "must-dos." "Must-dos" in order to find out what is happening deep inside of me. My neighbor and I discussed this very thing on Monday while we chatted at the mail box. He has been undergoing treatment for colon cancer, and he was relaying the good news of his latest GOOD report from his doctor. We discussed how, even though we feel perfectly well, we still don't know for sure if there is any unseen activity. It's a rather creepy feeling, to tell the truth. It's a true test of one's faith. And, as hard as we all try, some times those tests are harder than others. Today was one of those days.

I spent the day trying to stay relaxed. After all, I had been through this sort of thing many times before. But, today, I was having a harder time. I was very distracted and found it hard to focus all day long. I arrived at the appointment a bit early and stayed in the car, reading for a bit. I was taken into the exam room fairly quickly, after barely making it through half a magazine. I was expecting to see Nurse Janice for this appointment, but I heard Dr. Holmes familiar knock on the door. She bounded into the room with a set of red, felt Valentine hearts on her head, attached by a red headband! That's why I love this doctor; she knows exactly what the patient needs when in her office..........laughter!
Anyway, once I stopped laughing, Dr. Holmes asked me the usual questions about how I was doing. Then she gave me all of my paperwork and lab results - all of which she pronounced "100% perfect!" Whew. I could almost feel my pulse drop. I wanted to hug her but thought that might be a bit much, so we chatted through the rest of the appointment. And then, I was done. As quickly as I got in, I was finished. I think it was the quickest appointment ever. There was nothing else to do. So, I sent the news via text message to Michael, who is traveling, and headed home. Yes......often my frame is feeble. I am grateful for the loving hand of my Father who gently bears me when I need it.

I realized as I began my post here, tonight, that I haven't posted since Colleen passed away. In fact, she commented on my last post. Oh, how I miss her. I miss being able to share these good reports with her, for she always knew exactly what I was feeling and always knew exactly what words to say. Her e-mails and cards are quite precious to me now. How her family must miss her, too. I think of them often and continue to pray for their comfort in their sadness. And I am sure that they rejoice with me in knowing she is no longer sick or in pain but instead sits in the presence of her beloved Savior!

No more night.
No more pain.
No more tears.
Never crying again.
And praises to the great "I AM."
We will live in the light of the risen Lamb.
(excerpt from one of my favorite anthems, "No More Night")

I have 3 months until my next appointment with the radiation oncologist (6 mo. rotation) and 6 months until I meet with Dr. Holmes again. I will try to remember to check in again in May. I suppose that needing to remember to check in is a good thing, right?

1 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Thank you for sharing this! I am rejoicing with you in your good news. ::hug::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home