Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back in the saddle again....

Today, I made my first solo drive! Funny how what always seemed to be an easy task, like closing the car door or reaching for the seat belt, now takes more of a true effort to accomplish!

I went to see the radiation oncologist this morning. The cancer center in Tomball is a new facility and so close to the house that it seemed effortless to get there today. What a blessing after making weekly 45 minute drives to get chemo for the past 6 months!

The doctor explained the radiation treatment process to me. Actually, he explained it again, as he had already told me most of the information during our consult back in January. However, back then, I was processing information at about 50% and only retaining that which pertained to the here and now, so I needed a review.

He did an exam and wanted to see how much mobility I had regained in my left arm. I will need to keep it immobilized above my head during treatments, so that flexibility is a must. Even after doing the exercises I was given by Physical Therapy in the hospital and the Reach to Recovery lady, I still have some work to do. He suggested I up the number of times I do the exercises, from the prescribed twice a day to three or four times. Oh joy!

My therapy schedule will be 5 days a week for 6 and one half weeks. The doctor said he is giving me another week to make progress with my arm. Then, next week, I will go back for my "planning session" where they will actually make my particular plan. If all goes well, and my incision area has healed well enough, the doctor said we could probably start sessions the following week. That means I could possibly be finished with those treatments by Thanksgiving!

So, life goes on. While I am still regaining strength after having the surgery and pneumonia, little by little I am adjusting to life outside the house again. I find it difficult sometimes finding the balance between "taking it easy" and "getting things done." However, it's amazing how the body has ways of letting you know when you've reached its limit. Thankfully, the arm and shoulder exercises don't require a lot of effort, and some can even be done lying down. So, I should be able to make my goal by next week!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." ~Philippians 4:13

2 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Leni said...

Sounds like you're coming right along! So glad to hear it!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger TobyBo said...

I will be praying for you to be finished by Thanksgiving. That sounds like a wonderful reason for extra thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home