Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Entering the home stretch.....

I had my final chemo treatment yesterday. Yes, I did. It's strange how quickly time seems to have gone; yet back in February, when I was just beginning, I thought this day would never come. Yesterday was an otherwise uneventful day. I drove to the doctor's office, paid my co-pay, had my blood drawn, sat in the chair and got my drugs and then left. Plain, simple and to the point. Since I'll be back next week for Herceptin, there was no big farewell. I'll still be seeing a lot of those nurses over the rest of the year.

I scheduled another heart (MUGA) scan today. The doctor wanted me to have it done before my sugery, and surprisingly I was able to get it scheduled for next Tuesday. Of course, this is Tomball Hospital, and we do have a history of rescheduling this test. But I am hoping for the best. I also need to have a chest x-ray done that day, too. Then, I will have my "end of chemo" appointment on the 14th, the day before surgery. I am certain these next two weeks will zip by.

The ladies in the clinic with me yesterday were all discussing different aspects of their treatment, as well as the different side effects we have experienced. It amazed all of us that each individual case gets such different and specific treatment. Cancer treatment is so very individualistic these days. A common thread among us, however, was that all of us considered our side effects fairly manageable. It has been such a blessing to me to have these ladies there to "share" in the experience and give their view points. It has been a real encouragement from those who are "in the trenches" with me. I will miss these new friends when I no longer see them weekly.

As I think about the upcoming surgery, the radiation treatments and the rest of the year ahead, I find myself needing to look to God more and more, otherwise everything seems so overwhelming. I found myself humming this Fanny Crosby hymn this morning - it is one to repeat over and over again:

He is All in All to Me

There is constant joy abiding
In Christ my Lord and King;
Of His love that passeth knowledge
My heart and tongue shall sing.

He is all in all to me,
And my song of songs shall be,
Hallelujah, O my Savior,
I am trusting only Thee.

When my path is veiled in shadows,
And clouds above me roll,
I can smile amid the tempest,
His glory fills my soul.

He is all in all to me,
And my song of songs shall be,
Hallelujah, O my Savior,
I am trusting only Thee.


I can see his bow of promise
Through tears and trials deep;
I can hear His voice like music,
That lulls my care to sleep.

He is all in all to me,
And my song of songs shall be,
Hallelujah, O my Savior,
I am trusting only Thee.


I shall yet behold and praise Him,
And dwell in perfect peace
In the golden land of beauty,
Where cloud and wave shall cease.

He is all in all to me,
And my song of songs shall be,
Hallelujah, O my Savior,
I am trusting only Thee.

4 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger The Clerk said...

Dear Kim,

The last chemo treatment! Yeah!

I hope you find these next two weeks restful, so that you feel strong going into surgery.

May the Lord bless you.

You're in our prayers,
Maggie

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Hurrah! I also hope these next two weeks are good ones as you look forward to your surgery. Hopefully the chemicals did their job...

Be sure and update us before your surgery so we remember to pray.

We miss all of you,
Dawn Larimer

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

Rejoicing with you and for your continued encouragement to US as you certainly travel this road WITH GRACE.

I have you featured as my Thursday's Child today on my blog, and am sure your testimony will continue . . . with grace.

http://joyinthemorning.clubmom.com

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

Kim, what an inspiring post. Your sure have went through a lot and have a long road ahead of you, but He will see you through.

"In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence, and His children shall have a place of refuge." ~ Proverbs 14:26

 

Post a Comment

<< Home