Monday, July 10, 2006

Monday, Monday.......so good to me.......

because I got my chemo and only have 2 more b-i-g treatments left! And here, you probably thought I was going to sing through the entire Mamas and the Papas song. Nah, I will spare you, but yes, I am old enough to remember watching them live!

The actual infusion part of my day was just the same as any other day. But the weird part of the day was the atmosphere in the clinic. It was LOUD from the time I sat down until the time I left, 2.5 hours later! It isn't that large a room; it has 6 chemo recliners in it. But the doorway to the hallway is pretty wide, so the sound doesn't usually get trapped.

Today was different because the men outnumbered the ladies. My experience has been that on Mondays, especially when I have an early morning appointment (rather than arriving at 11 or so), the tone of the crowd is usually a little chatty, but then the ladies either submerse themselves in a book or take a nap. Last Monday, we had a man join us who slept the entire time he was in the chair. In fact, I think he took after my dad and fell asleep before he even got his drugs started! Today, we had 3 men whom I had never met before, in addition to Mr. H, the sleeper. One of these new men had his wife stay with him in the suite (not the norm - spouses are usually asked to remain in the waiting room, as the suite is small and there is no extra seating). This man also brought his iPod with him, and despite his using headphones, we could hear every single song he listened to.......clearly.

I like to nap during my treatments. I will socialize at the beginning, but once I get the shot of Benadryl, I get drowsy. I figure 'why fight it?' So, I nap, like so many others. None of the men napped today (well, Mr. H. might have except I don't think he had his treatment today - he didn't stay in the suite very long). They talked, and laughed, and guffawed, and talked really loudly!!!! And the man's wife who was there....she just fit right in with them all. So, I didn't nap. But I did "rest my eyes," as Grandpa would say. I tried, but it was just impossible.

One funny thing that I did overhear, while I was pretending to sleep (hey, I thought if I looked like I was trying to sleep, maybe they would tone it down some! It didn't work.), came from the discussion they were having about the current Astros losing streak, It seems as though the lady who was sitting next to me was at the same game our family went to last week! She was complaining how the Astros lost......I was nice, held my tongue, and didn't gloat about how my team won that night! Why spoil their party?

Next week, I will be meeting with the surgeon to schedule my surgery. The target time is the week of August 13th. I would appreciate prayer that the surgeon can work me into his schedule, as the timing is really not all that flexible. I had a dream that he couldn't do it that week becuase he was going on vacation for a month......and then they told me I would have to keep having chemo until he got back! You might say, it was more like a nightmare! Seriously, I am resting in God's sovereignty in this area, too. He hasn't failed me yet; I know He won't fail me in the future.

"My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." ~Psalm 121:2

4 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Cathy Womble said...

(((Kim)))Just wanted you to know that you are in my family's thoughts & prayers.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Cubmaster said...

KIM----

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

You are the bestest!

--Janelle

p.s. I have a package for you...there will be details inside! ;)

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

I am always blessed by your faithfulness and your continued hope in Jesus, and taking this journey one day at a time. I will be praying as your surgery date nears. God IS in control!

http://joyinthemorning.clubmom.com/

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger TXArtcGal said...

((((Kim))))

Still praying here! Thanks for your updates!!!...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home