Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Monday morning surprises........

This week's treatment appointement was at 9 AM; I was very happy since my last 3 or 4 appointments have been closer to noon. I figured that since this was a shorter appointment, I would be out of there by 10:30 or so and then head happily back home to tackle the week. HA!

What I did not know was that I was due a chemo treatment again this week. What's worse is that I didn't find it out until I was ready to leave, as the nurse was setting me up with another bag! Talk about confusion! Here I was saying, "What's up with this? I had my chemo last week!" There was Nurse Denise saying, "Let me go check." I could hear mumbling in the room across the hall as she checked my chart and spoke with someone whom I couldn't see. Then she marched right back in, hooked up the second bag, and told me, "I was right! You get the Taxotere on days 1 and 8. Now stop trying to confuse me!" Of course, all of this was said with a smile; the oncology nurses are so nice and really do care about all of us.

Anyway, I wasn't happy that I had to sit for another hour and a half, getting another chemo treatment. What caused the mix up? I am not quite sure. I do know that when I got home yesterday, I read my chemo calendar and saw the word "chemo" written in the square, along with Herceptin and labs. Did I notice this before? No, but I had only checked the calendar for my appointment time. The most puzzling thing is that I am sure that the nurse who made the calendar for me and who explains all the details of the treatments never told me about this. I am certain I would remember, if she had. Oh well, c'est la vie, I always say.

Having to get another treatment wasn't the worst thing in the world. Sure, I got out later than I had hoped, but I took a lunch detour to Panera Bread for a Bacon Turkey Bravo sandwich as a consolation prize. What bothered me more was that I was expecting one thing and got another. What I was expecting was a week where my body would get a chance to recover from last week's treatment. What I got instead was another hit to the immune system and another chance to watch for more side effects. The Decadron they gave me kept me awake until nearly 3 this morning; I really don't want to start a cycle of taking something to help me sleep. I asked Michael to cancel the vet appointment I had made for this morning, and I was able to get a 2 hour nap, until the neighbor's lawn care service woke me up. I feel much better now!

This week won't be as busy as others. My dad was discharged yesterday from the hospital, so I don't have that issue to deal with anymore. I should (she says with skepticism) have my MUGA scan at the hospital on Thursday, and there is always piano on Friday. Of course, the in-house "to do" list is never-ending, but what else is new?

So today, I am thanking the Lord for extra chemo treatments to kill those pesky cancer cells, the insurance coverage we have that pays for them, the initiative and discipline the girls have that enables me to give them assignments they can do while I nap (!), and a husband who will take the dog to the vet on Saturday, so I didn't have to today!

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"~Psalm 27:1

6 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Leni said...

I'm not very good at adjusting when the plans are suddenly changed on me. I think you did well, all things considered!

Leni<><

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Sam Wick said...

Just think of all the books you can get read!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

I too do not do well with sudden changes - which I call "panic attacks". But, doesn't it mean one less chemo now? I hope so and I continue to check on you!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger TXArtcGal said...

I'm so far behind reading your blog...but, want you to know you are always in my prayers!!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

((((Kim)))) You roll with the punches pretty well!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger ~b~ said...

praying for you here and to let you know it was great seeing you the other day! you looked rested (even though you probably don't feel like it.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home