Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Monday's trip........

This Monday's Herceptin treatment came and went without much fanfare. I drove myself as Michael had to be downtown for jury duty (he got picked, by the way!). Driving myself threw off my "routine" a bit. Not a lot, mind you, but things just felt out of sync. For instance, I forgot to apply the lidocaine cream to my port area (I usually do this while riding in the car, about 30 minutes before arriving at the doctor's office). I had been sitting in the waiting room a good 15 minutes before I remembered. I applied it anyway, but it didn't have a chance to numb the port area. Oh well. So, I just "bit the bullet" when the nurse stuck me. It just hurt a little......really.

My scalp had been really tender over the weekend, so I decided to forgo wearing "my hair" and just cover my head with a scarf. Meaghan told me that with my hoop earrings, I looked like a gypsy. We discovered that depending on how the knot is placed, I can go from gypsy to pirate to Aunt Jemima in a matter of seconds! But it was much more comfortable wearing the scarf than wearing the wig.

Another of the more minor side effects of the chemo drugs has hit me. For the past week, I have had this really weird taste in my mouth. I noticed it right after the last chemo cycle, a week ago Monday. I thought that it might go away by the end of the week. But, here we are at Wednesday of the next week, and it's still here. It isn't anything really bad....certainly nothing to complain or make a fuss over. Everything just tastes weird; I can't describe it any other way. Funny thing is that it hasn't really affected my appetite too much. I still get hungry; things just don't taste right when I eat.

I got a card in the mail yesterday from a family I don't even know. They are friends of Michael's brother and sister-in-law. This was the second time they wrote to offer prayer and encouragement. It continues to amaze me how God has put people all across the country and around the world who are praying for me. It once again reminded upon me the importance of doing things like this for others. That card was a very bright spot at the end of a tiring day.

Today's "to do" list is a mile long with mundane things like laundry and meal planning to more pressing things like finishing up the income taxes. As I think about all there is to do and gear up to tackle the list, I am purposing to be thankful for the abilities to still get these things done. God continues to be gracious and has kept me strong through this first 8 weeks of treatments. I may not always have the energy levels as before, but He is keeping me able to do all He asks of me. What more can I ask for?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."~Philippians 4:13

5 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Cubmaster said...

Oh KIM!!!!! I wish I could come over and help with laundry and have tea and bring you cookies!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Leni said...

Everyone I've known who goes through this comes to the same conclusion about the wig/scarf. The scarf just FEELS better. And if you can be a pirate OR Aunt Jemima, well, you're set for fun!

Glad you're still feeling so well!

Leni<><

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger TXArtcGal said...

((((Kim)))) You are one amazing woman!!! I have been thinking about you lately, and was glad to see you updated our blog!!

Praying over here!!!

p.s. Your attitude and strength show what a wonderful person you are.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

BECAUSE HE LIVES - YOU - CAN FACE TOMORROW!

Praise God!

My continued thoughts and prayers are with you. ~~Loni

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Amber D.M. said...

Hello Mrs. Kelly! I'm Colleen M.'s (prayerbasket) daughter. Was reading over your blog and noticed this entry talking about you not tasting things the same as you had before. This happened with my mom, too. One recipe that really "hit the spot" with her is one that I have on my website (Being Virtuous Women). Thought you might like to try it sometime. Ham Broccoli Casserole.

Been keeping you all in prayer.

Blessings,
Amber

 

Post a Comment

<< Home