Thursday, March 30, 2006

It's only hair....

This hair thing really needs to just get itself over and done with.

I noticed last week that my part was starting to look like a landing strip on top of my head. Last Friday, we went out with friends, and my hair just looked awful. I realized that it was because I had so little of it left. I made it through the weekend, but when Monday dawned, I took the scissors to it. I knew that I would lose more of it in the shower (thus it looking even worse!), so I solved the problem by cutting it r-e-a-l-l-y short. I think I surprised Michael; I think he thought I would shave it before just hacking at it. But I just couldn't shave it. Meaghan got up in time to watch me and help clip a bit on the very back of my head. I did discover something interesting, though. I found a LOT more dark brown hair on the back of my head. It wasn't as gray as I thought (from the way the front looked!). For some reason, I took some satisfaction in that. Of course, now, it was all in the waste basket instead of on my head. I also discovered that short hair (really short hair!) weighs nothing! And my head is much cooler!

So, I wore my wig to chemo Monday. One of the ladies getting treatment there told me it was "cute as a button" and made me look "years younger." I felt like I had a swim cap on my head; I think it is because my scalp is still so sensitive that anything I put on it hurts. I also took the wig off as soon as I got home. And I haven't had it on again except for one quick trip to Wal-Mart that evening. Of course, the girls have been under the weather all week, so I haven't gone out of the house, either. All the kids have had some funny comments about what my head/hair looks like. Meaghan wants ALL of the hair to fall out so I stop shedding on her when she sits on my lap or hugs me. As the hair continues to fall out with each shower, the landing strip gets wider. I told Kathryn today that I think my head reminds me of a baby bird's head - very few feathers and lots of skin. I've also been told that larger earrings are a must. I guess they help to balance out the baldness. To put things in perspective, though, hair loss is minimal in the grand scheme of things. I'd gladly be a bald grandma, if that's what it takes to beat this disease.

So goes the saga of my hair.........

8 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger TobyBo said...

Hi Kim,

I like the part about a bald Grandma! Sounds better to me than one with the bluish rinse on the silvery hair.

Under the Mercy,

Toby

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger ~T said...

I am amazed at your sense of humor throughout this ordeal.

The Lord blessed you with a quick wit and I am so thankful for that!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Cathy Womble said...

Hi Kim,
I'm not sure if this will go through or not. I've been wanting to comment but didn't want to set up a blog to do it. LOL
Your upbeat way of handling all this has been just awesome. Our family is praying for you.
Hugs,
Cathy

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Leni said...

Humor will take you a long way! Are you feeling well?

Leni<><

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Cubmaster said...

Kim---

HUGS to you!!!!! You are continually an inspiration to me! Walking again tomorrow. Friday, I started to "feel the burn" and thought of you. That made the rest of the walk go much easier!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Is Toby walking with you?

He should you know.....you could tie a pink ribbon around his neck! LOL!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger TXArtcGal said...

You truly are an amazing woman!...and, like everybody else has said...both your mindset and humor are invaluable!

((((Kim))))

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

You remind me of my friend who went through cancer with grace like you. She tried to be funny - to help others laugh and feel more comfortable. When she went bald, she got a cap that had long blonde hair hanging out the back. It was hilarious! She wore various funny hair-do's. It did help us laugh, even when there was tears. :)

Keep leaning on Jesus' strength.

Loni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home