Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Started phase two.........

Yesterday was round 1 of phase 2. Two new drugs, along with my buddy Herceptin. I also saw the doctor as is the norm for chemo weeks. She had the results back from last Tuesday's PET scan, and the news was good. In layman's terms. the tumor in the breast is no longer visible, and the lymph node has decreased in size from 2.7 cm to 1.6 cm. The skin thickening is still there, but it as noted now as minimal. The report states, "These results are compatible with favorable response to therapy." Oh, and there were no other spots seen! Praise the Lord for answered prayer!

It still remains to be seen how these new drugs will affect my body and which side effects will show up. I had a very sleepless night last night which is normal due to the steriods they give before the chemo infusion. Other than fatigue, I feel fairly well today. I am hoping that this continues for the rest of the week. I still need to monitor my weight, temp and every little ache, pain or sniffle that I feel. I have a whole new arsenal of drugs on my desk to combat the myriad of side effects which might show up. I am hoping that the bottles never are opened, but at least they are here, if I need them.

I received a very encouraging e-mail from an online friend in IL this past weekend. She is in the midst of a battle with ovarian cancer; she is a sweet sister in the Lord who has been a kindred spirit to me during this time. In her note to me, she encouraged me to look at this new course of meds as "reserve warriors saved to add their brawn to the fray." Before each treatment, we pray that the Lord will use the drugs to fight off the cancer, and this was a good reminder to me that this really is a battle and God is at the head of the campaign. What a comfort it is to know that I don't have to be the one in charge.

I have my heart scan scheduled for Friday; it's not my most favorite test, but at least I don't need to drink barium for it! My doctor said my heart sounded fine yesterday, so she doesn't anticipate any problems. Herceptin is known to cause weakened heart muscle, though, so they need to check things out every 3 months or so. Prayers for a strong heart would be appreciated!

Thanks to all who have written, called, sent food, flowers and gifts lately. Your gestures of love are much appreciated and welcomed. Most of all, I know you are praying for me and the family and that means the world to me. Your petitions before the throne of grace are what help us to put one foot in front of the other on this walk of faith. Thank you for being our partners in this walk.

Put Thou Thy Trust in God (Paul Gerhardt, 1656, translated from German to English by John Wesley in 1739)

Put thou thy trust in God,

In duty’s path go on;
Walk in His strength with faith and hope,
So shall thy work be done.

Commit thy ways to Him,
Thy works into His hands,
And rest on His unchanging Word,
Who Heav’n and earth commands.

Though years on years roll on,
His cov’nant shall endure;
Though clouds and darkness hide His path,
The promised grace is sure.

Give to the winds Thy fears;
Hope, and be undismayed;
God hears thy sighs and counts thy tears;
God shall lift up thy head.

Through waves, and clouds, and storms,
His power will clear thy way;
Wait thou His time, the darkest night
Shall end in brightest day.

Leave to His sovereign sway
To choose and to command;
So shalt thou, wond’ring, own His way,
How wise, how strong His hand.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Leni said...

I can't tell you how it delights me to read your updates. I'm so glad that you're getting good reports, and that God is helping you handle the drugs!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home