Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Counting the days on one hand......

Everything is still a go for this Friday! I just got back from taking care of pre-op details, getting more blood drawn, having an EKG and getting an exemption from a chest x-ray since I just had one last week. My surgery (a modified radical mastectomy with axillary node disection - try saying THAT 5 times quickly!) is set for Friday morning at 7:30; we have to report at the hospital at 6:30. It's really happening......seems rather surreal. Giving medical history is always interesting for me. I try to remember every small detail, but I always seem to forget something. Today, I forgot to tell the nurse about my continuing Herceptin treatments; I remembered to tell her I completed my chemo, but I forgot about the Herceptin. Oh well, I remembered on the way down to the lab, so she wrote it on a tiny scrap of paper. Hope it makes its way to my chart!

I had my "end of chemo" visit yesterday. I got clearance for surgery and we went over the MUGA results from last week. They were quite favorable, so that means I can continue on with Herceptin for a while. I also tried to get every little question I had answered, since I won't be back for another 3 weeks. As busy as that office is, I sure do think highly of all the people that work there. They are such a caring staff. I am so thankful that God brought people into my life who recommended Dr. Holmes; she and her staff have been an answer to prayer!

I finally made it back to church yesterday and was overwhelmed by the well wishes and hellos. It was good to be in familiar surroundings again and to hear God's word preached from the pulpit instead of from the computer! Even though I will be missing a few weeks after surgery, I look forward to regularly sitting in the congregation again now that chemo is completed.

Thank you again to all who have been praying throughout this ordeal and especially as surgery is nearing. While I am looking forward to getting this phase over with and moving on, part of me isn't really exciting about going through the surgery and recovery. A friend at church encouraged me yesterday when she told me that I have gone through the hardest part of treatment already, now that chemo is completed. She said that surgery and even radiation will seem easy compared to chemo. And she should know, since she is a 10 year survivor herself!

I will try to check in after surgery or ask one of the guys to post, just to keep everyone updated. Thank you again for all of your prayers, cards, e-mails, meals, and support. I treasure all of you.

God Moves in a Mysterious Way (William Cowper)

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

3 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger TobyBo said...

you are in our prayers/

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger TobyBo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger TobyBo said...

Ack. I cannot deal with "one comments." So I will mention the fact that I have been worried about you since reading that you like licorice ice cream. I never even heard of such a thing, although I can see how a black tongue would have a certain, uh, appeal. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home