Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Resting.....

"Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." ~Psalm 55:22

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
~Matthew 11:28

What a promise! What a comfort! This past week was one of labor and burden, and I have needed to continually keep these Scripture verses in front of my eyes. My list of things I want to get done before surgery continues to grow as quickly as weeds in a garden. For every one thing I get checked off, I manage to add three or four.

Today was day 5 of my dad being in the hospital, and I still haven't really been able to pin a doctor down as to what is causing him to be so lethargic and unresponsive. He continues to receive antibiotics for the infection and pneumonia. He has been awake a bit each day, so we have seen slow improvement. But it is rather disconcerting to see him sleeping so much on a daily basis. I intend to try to meet with his primary doctor tomorrow to discuss what his current assessment is. As taxing as this has been, I am so very grateful that the hospital is right here, in town, just a few minutes from our home. When the call came in last Thursday (at 5 AM) that he was being transported to ER, I was able to be there in no time at all. I have been able to make daily trips to check on him. Today, I was able just to walk upstairs after having my heart scan done and go visit him in his room. So, God has been gracious to me again.

The heart scan actually went off today without a hitch (meaning, no rescheduling!). The tech even asked me what type of music I would like to hear while the scan was going on. I told her I didn't really care just as long as it wasn't obnoxious. So, as I had my heart scan, I listened to Barry Manilow crooning songs from the 70's....I got to relive my high school and college years through music!

Yesterday's Herceptin treatment came and went, also. The only difference this time was that the Benadryl dose they gave me made me so sleepy this time that I actually had to take a half hour nap in the van before I could stay awake to drive! That was a first for me. It was rather strange napping in a parking garage (rather hot, too!), but it was safer than heading out on the road feeling all groggy. After "sleeping it off," I ran a number of errands on the way home. My time away from home turned into 7 hours; needless to say, I was quite tired by the time I actually set foot in the house again.

The other news from yesterday is that my surgery date was changed. I had just finished reminding everyone at the clinic that my surgery was set for the 15th and then the surgeon's office called me on my way home and reset it for the 18th! It seems as though the docotr has to go out of town, so he had to reschedule. Yes, I am somewhat disappointed, but I am also resting in the knowledge that God must have a reason for this delay. So, that makes it okay with me. I figure it will allow me to get more things knocked off of my "to do" list!

So, instead of 6 days until my surgery, there are 9 more days. 3 more days to practice resting.

Rest of the Weary (John S. B. Monsell)

Rest of the weary, joy of the sad,
Hope of the dreary, light of the glad;
Home of the stranger, strength to the end,
Refuge from danger, Savior and Friend!

Pillow where lying, love rests its head,
Peace of the dying, life of the dead:
Path of the lowly, prize at the end,
Breath of the holy, Savior and Friend!

When my feet stumble, to Thee I’ll cry,
Crown of the humble, cross of the high;
When my steps wander, over me bend
Truer and fonder, Savior and Friend!

Ever confessing Thee, I will raise
Unto Thee blessing, glory and praise:
All my endeavor, world without end,
Thine to be ever, Savior and Friend!

2 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

((((Kim)))) I think of you everyday. You are such a wonderful testimony to me of God's love and care for all of us. I pray that your dad improves. I will be thinking of you as your surgery approaches. The 18th is our anniversary so good things happen on that date :-)

Love ya,
Bonnie

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger  shananagrins@gmail.com said...

Doug, Kaya & I are sending you lots of love and hope for a smooth surgery and recovery!!
Love from all!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home